From at least 1937 to 1938
C. T. Loo & Company, New York from at least November 1937 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C. T. Loo & Company on February 4, 1938 
 See C. T. Loo's stockcard no. L 36/34: "Bronze vase with cover, light green patina, Cho[u], 6th century," with an annotation that Loo was in possession of the vessel in November 1937, C. T. Loo & Frank Caro Archive, Musée Guimet, Paris, copy in object file.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice dated January 17, 1938, with an annotation that it was passed for payment on February 4, 1938, copy in object file. According to C. T. Loo's stockcard cited above, the vessel was sold on February 9, 1938.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
C.T. Loo & Company 1914-1948
Ceremonial vessel, type chih. Cover. Surface: smooth silvery green patina with patches of rough green; earthy adhesions. Decoration: in low relief, except for incised lines on the knob. Inscriptions in vessel and cover.
- Published References
- Smithsonian Institution. Report of the Secretary, 1938. Washington, 1938-1939. pl. 2.
- Smithsonian Institution. Annual Report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution, 1937. Washington, 1937-1938. pl. 2.
- Shang Chou chin wen shi ch'eng. Multi-volume, Taipei. cat. 7069.
- Chin wen tsung chi. Taipei. vol. 8: p. 3467.
- Chen Mengjia. Yin Zhou qing tong qi fen lei tu lu [Yin-Chou ch'ing t'ung ch'i fen lei t'u lu]. 2 vols., Dongjing. vol. 2: A 518.
- Grace Dunham Guest, Archibald Gibson Wenley. Annotated Outlines of the History of Chinese Arts. Washington, 1949. p. 2.
- Compiled by the staff of the Freer Gallery of Art. A Descriptive and Illustrative Catalogue of Chinese Bronzes: Acquired During the Administration of John Ellerton Lodge. Oriental Studies Series, no. 3 Washington, 1946. pp. 4, 6-7, 36, pl. 15.
- Howard F. Collins. Decor, Function, and Contour in Early Chinese Bronzes. vol. 12, no. 2 London, Summer 1966. p. 116, fig. 8.
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Rutherford John Gettens, James Cahill, Noel Barnard. The Freer Chinese Bronzes. Oriental Studies Series, vol. 1, no. 7 Washington. cat. 71, p. 395.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
International Image Interoperability Framework
IIIF Manifest Data/Viewers