From at least 1964
Paul Singer (1904-1997), Summit, New Jersey 
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, donated jointly by Paul Singer, Arthur M. Sackler Foundation, and the AMS Foundation for the Arts, Sciences and Humanities, and the children of Arthur M. Sackler
 See Umehara Sueji, Inkyo: Yin Hsu, Ancient Capital of the Shang Dynasty at Anyang (Tokyo: Asahi Shimbunshe, 1964), p. 73, pl. 122:1. The object was exhibited by Paul Singer at the Asia Society in New York in 1965 and at the China House Gallery of the China Institute in New York in 1977, see Max Loehr, Relics of Ancient China from the Collection of Dr. Paul Singer (New York: The Asia Society, 1965), p. 25, cat. 21; Paul Singer, Early Chinese Miniatures, exh. cat. (New York : China House Gallery/China Institute in America, March 16-May 29, 1977), cat. 3.
Note related to the World War II Era Provenance Project: While this object might have been in Europe (and possibly Axis-occupied territory) between 1933 and 1945 and might have changed hands during that period, research into the matter has not turned up any evidence as such. Examined documents include Paul Singer papers, FSG Archives and Paul Singer donation files, Registrar Office. See also Provenance information. (Provenance information is provided by Dorota Chudzicka)
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Dr. Paul Singer 1904-1997
Dr. Carol Master born 1941
Dr. Elizabeth A. Sackler born 1948
Arthur F. Sackler born 1950
Denise Marika born 1955
Arthur M. Sackler Foundation founded 1965
AMS Foundation for the Arts, Sciences, and Humanities founded 1981
- Published References
- J. Keith Wilson, Jingmin Zhang. Jades for Life and Death. .
- Dr. Paul Singer. Early Chinese Miniatures. New York, March 16 - May 29, 1977. cat. 3, p. 16.
- Max Loehr. Relics of Ancient China: From the Collection of Dr. Paul Singer. Exh. cat. New York. cat. 21, p. 25.
- John Johnston, Chan Lai Pik. 5000 Years of Chinese Jade. Exh. cat. San Antonio, Texas, 2011. cat. 22, p. 57.
- Sueji Umehara. Yin hsu: Ancient Capital of the Shang Dynasty at An-yang. Tokyo. p. 73, pl. 122, fig. 1.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."