Gran Collection, London, United Kingdom 
Sale, London, Sotheby & Co., Catalogue of Important Chinese Ceramics, Bronzes, and Works of Art, March 2, 1971, lot 49: "A Rare and Attractive Archaic Bronze Covered Vessel (ting)" 
J.T. Tai & Co., purchased from sale at Sotheby & Co., London, "Catalogue of Important Chinese Ceramics, Bronzes, and Works of Art" March 2, 1971, lot 49 
Dr. Arthur M. Sackler, purchased from J.T. Tai & Co. on November 10, 1971 
The Arthur M. Sackler Foundation, gift of Dr. Arthur M. Sackler in 1974 
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, gift of the Arthur M. Sackler Foundation 
 The 1971 auction catalogue listed the vessel as "The Property of a Gentleman". See copy of auction catalogue, object file. The paper file from the Sackler Foundations notes that this was previously in the collection of Gran before J.T. Tai & Co. purchased it.
 See note 1.
 According to records from Dr. Arthur M. Sackler, J.T. Tai & Co., purchased this vessel from the 1971 London, Sotheby's auction. On November 10, 1971 this was sold to Dr. Sackler through Paul Singer (?). The J.T. Tai & Co., dealer number is YT 6002.
 See note 3.
 Dr. Arthur M. Sackler donated the object to the Arthur M. Sackler Foundation in 1974. See correspondence on the transfer of object to the Foundation, copies in object file.
 See Deed of Gift, object file.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Dr. Arthur M. Sackler 1913-1987
J.T. Tai & Co. established in 1950
Arthur M. Sackler Foundation founded 1965
- Published References
- Dawn Ho Delbanco. Art from Ritual: Ancient Chinese Bronze Vessels from the Arthur M. Sackler Collections. Exh. cat. Washington. cat. 58, pp. 140-141.
- Jenny F. So. Eastern Zhou Ritual Bronzes from the Arthur M. Sackler Collections. Ancient Chinese Bronzes from the Arthur M. Sackler Collections, vol. 3 New York, 1995. cat. 18, pp. 150-153.
- et al. Asian Art in the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery: The Inaugural Gift. Washington, 1987. cat. 145, p. 220.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
International Image Interoperability Framework
IIIF Manifest Data/Viewers