From at least 1939 to 1947
C. T. Loo & Company, New York, from at least January 10, 1939 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C. T. Loo & Company on May 7, 1947 
 The object was lent by C. T. Loo to the Arden Gallery in 1939; see 3000 Years of Chinese Jade, exh. cat. (New York: Arden Gallery, January 10 - February 11, 1939), cat. 184 (ill.). See also C. T. Loo's stockcard no. 80121: "Jade deep cylindrical tripod cup with one handle and a cover surmounted by three small curled animals on a geometrical pattern. The cup is decorated with two dragons and a t'ao t'ieh mask handle on a geometrical pattern. HAN," C. T. Loo & Frank Caro Archive, Musée Guimet, Paris, copy in object file. In June 1944, the cup was brought to the Freer Gallery for examination.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice, dated May 7, 1947, copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
C.T. Loo & Company 1914-1948
Nephrite cup with cover; decoration in relief and incised; wooden stand.
- Published References
- Geoffrey WIlls. Jade of the East., 1st ed. New York, 1972. fig. 47.
- William Watson. China Before the Han Dynasty. Ancient Peoples and Places, vol. 23 New York. pl. 63.
- Sueji Umehara. Jade Vessels of the Warring States Period. no. 18 Osaka, January 1956. pl. XIII A.
- Sueji Umehara. Shina kogyoku zuroku [Selected Specimens of Chinese Archaic Jade]. Kyoto, 1955. pl. 61.
- Smithsonian Institution. Report of the Secretary, 1946-1947. Washington. pl. 1.
- Na Chih-liang. Yu ch'i tz'u t'ien [Dictionary of Chinese Jade]. Taipei, 1982. vol. 2: p. 327.
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Thomas Lawton, Harold P. Stern. The Freer Gallery of Art. 2 vols., Washington and Tokyo, 1971-1972. cat. 20, vol. 1: p. 155.
- Na Chih-liang. "玉器通史." Yu ch'i t'ung shih [A General Study of Chinese Jade]. Hong Kong, 1965. p. 19, fig. 23.
- Masterpieces of Chinese and Japanese Art: Freer Gallery of Art handbook. Washington, 1976. p. 33.
- (Introduction) Horace Jayne. Archaic Chinese Jades. Exh. cat. Philadelphia, PA, February 1940. p. 58.
- Hai wai i chen [Chinese Art in Overseas Collections]. Taipei, 1985. p. 64.
- Alfred Salmony. 3000 Years of Chinese Jade. Exh. cat. New York, January 10 - February 1, 1939. cat. 184, p. 78.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
International Image Interoperability Framework
IIIF Manifest Data/Viewers