From at least 1939
C. T. Loo & Company, New York from at least January 1939 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C. T. Loo & Company on July 6, 1939 
 The vessel was exhibited by Loo in January 1939, see C. T. Loo & Co., An Exhibition of Chinese Bronzes, exh. cat. (New York: C. T. Loo & Co., January 1939), cat. 32, pl. XVIII. See also Loo's stockcard no. 81579: "Food vessel and cover (tou). Highly conventionalized dragon motives in gold encircle the entire body with a leaf like decoration around the lip. Loop handles. The cover removes to form a bowl. Green patina. Late Chou Period. Height 6 in," C. T. Loo & Frank Caro Archive, Musée Guimet, Paris, copy in object file.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice, dated July 6, 1939, copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
C.T. Loo & Company 1914-1948
Ceremonial covered vessel, type tou. Crusty green patina with design inlaid in gold, and two annular handles on opposite sides.
- Published References
- William Watson. The Art of Dynastic China. New York, 1981. ill. 271.
- Jenny F. So. Bronze Styles of the Eastern Zhou Period. Ann Arbor. pl. 50a, b.
- Sekai kokogaku taikei [Archaeology of the World]. 16 vols., Tokyo, 1958-1962. vol. 6: p. 71, fig. 193.
- Mizuno Seiichi. In Shu seidoki to tama [Bronzes and Jades of Ancient China]. Tokyo. pl. 137.
- Martin J. Powers. Pattern and Person: Ornament, Society, and Self in Classical China. Harvard East Asia Monographs, no. 262 Cambridge, Massachusetts. .
- J. LeRoy Davidson. An Exhibition of Chinese Bronzes. Exh. cat. New York. cat. 32, pl. 18.
- Chugoku bijutsu [Chinese Art in Western Collections]. 5 vols., Tokyo, 1972-1973. vol. 4: fig. 73.
- Capolavori nei secoli: Enciclopedia di tutte i popoli in tutti i tempi. 12 vols., Milan, 1961 - 1964. vol. 3: p. 21.
- Chen Mengjia. Yin Zhou qing tong qi fen lei tu lu [Yin-Chou ch'ing t'ung ch'i fen lei t'u lu]. 2 vols., Dongjing. vol. 2: A 270.
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Thomas Lawton, Harold P. Stern. The Freer Gallery of Art. 2 vols., Washington and Tokyo, 1971-1972. cat. 30, vol. 1: p. 156.
- Grace Dunham Guest, Archibald Gibson Wenley. Annotated Outlines of the History of Chinese Arts. Washington, 1949. p. 3.
- Masterpieces of Chinese and Japanese Art: Freer Gallery of Art handbook. Washington, 1976. p. 18.
- Thomas Lawton. Chinese Art of the Warring States Period: Change and Continuity, 480-222 B.C. Washington, 1982-1983. cat. 8, pp. 41-42.
- Jenny F. So. Eastern Zhou Ritual Bronzes from the Arthur M. Sackler Collections. Ancient Chinese Bronzes from the Arthur M. Sackler Collections, vol. 3 New York, 1995. p. 42, fig. 59.
- Compiled by the staff of the Freer Gallery of Art. A Descriptive and Illustrative Catalogue of Chinese Bronzes: Acquired During the Administration of John Ellerton Lodge. Oriental Studies Series, no. 3 Washington, 1946. p. 60, pl. 32.
- Mario Bussagli. Chinese Bronzes. London and New York. p. 63, pl. 27.
- Daisy Lion-Goldschmidt, Jean-Claude Moreau-Gobard. Chinese Art: Bronze, Jade, Sculpture, Ceramics. The Universe Library of Antique Art 4 vols., , 1st ed. London and New York. p. 103, pl. 42.
- William Willetts. Foundations of Chinese Art from Neolithic Pottery to Modern Architecture. New York, 1965. p. 108.
- Walter Karp. The Smithsonian Institution: An Establishment for the Increase and Diffusion of Knowledge Among Men. Washington. p. 117.
- Oppi Untracht. Metal Techniques for Craftsmen: A Basic Manual for Craftsmen on the Methods of Forming and Decorating Metals., 1st ed. Garden City. p. 150.
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Rutherford John Gettens, James Cahill, Noel Barnard. The Freer Chinese Bronzes. Oriental Studies Series, vol. 1, no. 7 Washington. cat. 105, p. 539.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
International Image Interoperability Framework
IIIF Manifest Data/Viewers