From at least 1931-no later than 1936
E. Beghian, London, method of acquisition unknown 
Possibly by 1936-no later than 1937
H. Kevorkian, New York, method of acquisition unknown 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from H. Kevorkian, New York 
 See Ernst Kühnel “History of Miniature Painting and Drawing” in “A Survey of Persian Art From Prehistoric Time to the Present”, ed. Arthur Upham Pope and Phyllis Ackerman [book] (London and New York: Oxford University Press, 1938), vol. III, p. 1882; and (1939); vol. V, pl. 915D. See Laurence Binyon, J.V.S. Wilkinson and Basil Grey, “Persian Miniature Painting: Including a Critical Descriptive catalogue of the Miniatures Exhibited at Burlington House, January-March, 1931” [book] (London: Oxford University Press, 1933), p. 135 no.153, “Lent by E. Beghian”. Also, see note in TMS “Purchased from H. Kevorkian, New York; formerly in the collection of E. Beghian. For price, see Freer Gallery of Art List after 1920”. Edward Beghian (1876-1962) was a dealer in carpets and antiques, with a gallery first at 18 Dover, then 37 Berkeley Streets, London, from the years 1924-1939.
 See notes 1 and 3. Hagop Kevorkian (1872-1962) was a dealer and collector of Islamic Art with eponymous galleries in New York and Paris.
 The Freer Gallery of Art paid H. Kevorkian in installments, the first on October 28, 1936, and the last on April 7, 1937, and approved on April 5, 1937. See object file for copy of invoice.
Research updated December 6, 2022
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Hagop Kevorkian 1872-1962
E. Beghian 1910?-1950?
- Published References
- Richard Ettinghausen, Ernst Kuhnel. A Survey of Persian Art from Prehistoric Times to the Present. 6 vols., London and New York, 1938 - 1939. vol. 3: pp. 1815, 1882.
- David J. Roxburgh. Turks: A Journey of a Thousand Years, 600-1600. London and New York. fig. 36.
- Dr. Esin Atil. Turkish Art of the Ottoman Period. Exh. cat. Washington. cat. 4, p. 14.
- Eric Schroeder. Persian Miniatures in the Fogg Museum of Art. Cambridge, Massachusetts. pp. 103, 105.
- Walter B. Denny. Dating Ottoman Turkish Works in the Saz Style in Istanbul. vol. 1 Leiden. pp. 106-107, pl. 6.
- Laurence Binyon, J.V.S. Wilkinson, Basil Gray. Persian Miniature Painting: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Miniatures Exhibited at Burlington House, January-March 1931. Exh. cat. Oxford, January - March 1931. no. 153, p. 135.
- Dr. Esin Atil. Ottoman Art at the Freer Gallery of Art. no. 4 Istanbul, 1970-1971. pp. 192-193, pl. 9.
- Turkish Art. Washington and New York. pp. 193 -194, fig. 89.
- Armenag Sakisian. Turkish Miniatures. vol. 87, no. 510 London, September 1945. p. 228, 231, pl. 2B.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
International Image Interoperability Framework
IIIF Manifest Data/Viewers