C. T. Loo & Company, New York to 1930 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C. T. Loo & Company, New York in 1930 
 Object file, undated folder sheet note. See also Freer Gallery of Art Purchase List file, Collections Management Office.
 See note 1.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
C.T. Loo & Company 1914-1948
Peach-shaped cup with spout and low, spreading foot. Translucent, greenish-white jade (nephrite) with light and dark brown markings. Large areas of opaque cream white decomposition; much earth incrustation. Incised, wide band of interlocked double spiral pattern, one taotie mask. Rim and foot rim broken, surface damage.
Jade vessels are rare in antiquity, but a few are found in the Warring States and Han inventory. The semi-translucent walls show the relief spirals and high gloss characteristic of the Jincun style. The cup displays a monster-mask beneath its spout.
- Published References
- William Charles White. Tombs of Old Lo-yang: A Record of the Construction of a Group of Royal Tombs at Chin-ts'un, Honan, Probably Dating 550 B.C., 1st ed. Shanghai. cat. 307, pl. 123.
- Sueji Umehara. Shina kogyoku zuroku [Selected Specimens of Chinese Archaic Jade]. Kyoto, 1955. pl. 60.
- Sueji Umehara. Rakuyo kinson kobo shuei [Objects from the Ancient Tombs at Chin Ts'un, Lo-yang]. Kyoto. pl. 80, fig. 3.
- Osvald Siren. Kinas Konst Under Tre Artusenden. 2 vols., Stockholm, 1942-1943. vol. 1: pl. 57 a.
- Alfred Salmony. Carved Jade of Ancient China. Berkeley, 1938. pl. 57, no. 1.
- S. Howard Hansford. Chinese Carved Jades. The Arts of the East London. pl. 38b.
- S. Howard Hansford. Chinese Jade Carving. London. p. 114, pl. 19b.
- Thomas Lawton. Chinese Art of the Warring States Period: Change and Continuity, 480-222 B.C. Washington, 1982-1983. cat. 103, p. 156.
- William Charles White. Discoveries Which Surpass Anything Yet Known of Archaic Chinese Jade: Lo-yang Types of Many Colors. vol. 184, no.4951 London, March 10, 1934. p. 371.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
International Image Interoperability Framework
IIIF Manifest Data/Viewers