Li Wenqing (circa 1869-1931), Shanghai to 1911 
From 1911 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Li Wenqing, in China, in 1911 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Reserved Makimono List, L. 765, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This object was kept in the Reserved Section until 1921, when it was given a regular registration number.
This object exhibits seals, colophons, or inscriptions that could provide additional information regarding the object’s history; see Curatorial Remarks in the object record for further details.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Li Wenqing (C.L. Freer source) ca. 1869-1931
- Published References
- Ellen Mae Johnston Laing. Scholars and Sages: A Study in Chinese Figure Paintings. Ann Arbor, 1967-1986. .
- Ellen Mae Johnston Laing. Real or Ideal: The Problem of the 'Elegant Gathering in the Western Garden' in Chinese Art. vol. 88, no. 3 New Haven, July - September 1968. p. 421.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."