From 1902 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Company of the Butterfly, London, in 1902 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Etchings, pg. 16, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This object was originally entered on the Whistler Purchase List as W. app. 314 - Terrace, Luxembourg Garden; see the above list under this title. Society of the Butterfly [Company of the Butterfly] was James McNeill Whistler's London business through which he sold his works. Mr. Freer purchased this work in May 1900, although it was paid for on June 16, 1902 (see Accession List, Collections Management Office, as well as Curatorial Remarks in the object record).
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Company of the Butterfly (C.L. Freer source) 1897-1903
Whistler etchings are identified by "G" numbers as assigned in "James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonné," by Margaret F. McDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock (University of Glasgow, 2012), http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk. This print is G473 state 1 of 1.
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, Joanna Meacock. James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonée., 2012. .
- Howard Mansfield. A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler. Chicago, 1909. .
- Edward G. Kennedy. The Etched Work of Whistler: Illustrated by Reproductions in Collotype of the Different States of the Plates. 4 vols., New York, 1910. .
- Katharine Lochnan. The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler. Exh. cat. New Haven and London, 1984. p. 264.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
International Image Interoperability Framework
IIIF Manifest Data/Viewers