Francis Seymour Haden (1818-1910), London 
H. Wunderlich & Co., New York to 1891 
From 1891 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from H. Wunderlich & Co. in 1891 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Curatorial Remark 2, Freer Fact Sheet notes 1 and 3, in the object record.
 See List of Whistler Objects Transferred to Smithsonian Institution, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This image was purchased from H. Wunderlich & Co. in 1891, but kept in the Reserve Section until January 1921, when it was transferred to the main collection and given a registration number for that year. The registration number was later changed to correspond with the year of purchase.
 See note 2.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Francis Seymour Haden 1818-1910
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
H. Wunderlich & Co. (C.L. Freer source) 1874-1912
Whistler etchings are identified by "K" numbers as assigned in Edward Kennedy's catalogue, The Etched Work of Whistler, (New York: Grolier Club, 1910; and subsequent editions). This print is K39; first state of two.
Whistler etchings are identified by "G" numbers as assigned in "James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonné," by Margaret F. McDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock (University of Glasgow, 2012), http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk. This print is G47 state 2 of 4.
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, Joanna Meacock. James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonée., 2012. .
- Howard Mansfield. A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler. Chicago, 1909. .
- Katharine Lochnan. The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler. Exh. cat. New Haven and London, 1984. .
- Edward G. Kennedy. The Etched Work of Whistler: Illustrated by Reproductions in Collotype of the Different States of the Plates. 4 vols., New York, 1910. .
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 220, fig. 168-171.2.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
International Image Interoperability Framework
IIIF Manifest Data/Viewers